Re: [Xen-users] Zombie DomU's

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Zombie DomU's
From: Gregor Pirnaver <gregor.pirnaver@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:11:32 +0200
Cc: Chad Ferge <cferge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:56:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On petek 01 septembra 2006 03:15, you wrote:
> It started out as very nice I went 4 or 5
> months without a problem and suddenly now the DomU's end
> up going Zombie whenever they want... What ends up
> happening is I loose all network connectivity with the
> DomU's and also can not console into the DomU using "xm
> console"

I have a similar problem. This is my posting on Fedora-xen mailing list:

For some weeks I have a problem with XenU domain used as web server. It is
turning into Zombie domain:

# xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0      641     4 r-----   263.6
Zombie-wwwmain                     2      512     1 ----cd  5238.4
dns                                4      128     1 -b----    20.1
intranet                           6      512     1 -b----    18.7
ldap                               5      128     1 -b----    61.4
mail                               3      512     1 r-----  1078.0
www                                1      512     1 -b----   117.7
wwwextra                           7      512     1 -b----    33.2

(Both Xen0 and XenU are running FC5 with kernel 2.6.17-1.2174.)

- How can I find out what is causing this problem?
- How can I fix it / work around it / report a bug?

This is production machine so I would appriciate any pointers. I didn't have
this problem before. Maybe new kernel is causing the problem? Is there a way to
get older versions of kernel packages?

I would also like to note that when this happens networking doesn't work in ANY
XenU domain. E.g.:

# xm console dns
after login trying to ping Google IP:
# ping 72.14.221.104
ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available
ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available
ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available

and when I run "init 0" in XenU (e.g. in dns XenU):
# init 0
it hangs at this step: "Removing module iptables: "

When I try to shutdown XenU from Xen0 it also turns to Zombie. E.g. (dns XenU
domain turns into Zombie-dns):
# xm shutdown dns

What can I do?

--