[Xen-users] Dell hardware recommendations for Xen and VT?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dell hardware recommendations for Xen and VT?
From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:06:37 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:07:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm getting a new machine to run Xen, and want to
be able to run unmodified guests... so VT is a requirement if I use Intel chips.

Can anyone give me recommendations or bewares on computer hardware for Xen?

I've already looked at
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HardwareCompatibilityList
and friends, as well as "http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/";.
For reasons outside my control, it essentially must be from Dell.
I intend to install Fedora Core on it, and develop sw & do other stuff on it;
fancy 3D graphics/gaming is NOT a requirement.
Currently, I'm down to either the cheaper Optiplex GX620 mini-tower
(Pentium D based) or the Dell Precision Workstation 690 (Dual core Xeon).

The Dell Optiplex GX620 can support a
Pentium D 930, 940, 950, or 960, all of which have VT.  It's
is listed in the hardware compatibility list (though with different components).
It has an Intel graphics card (GMA950); Intel drivers tend to be open source
software,
which I would _strongly_ prefer since with proprietary drivers I risk having a
boat
anchor when the vendor stops supporting my card. The Intel card _is_ listed by
FSF as compatible, a good sign.  Yet there seem to be some concerns, e.g.:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Setup/Q_21894990.html).
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/498235.html
I _could_ get a separate video card; probably better performance, but then
I have different driver concerns.   The GX620 is cheaper than the Optiplex.
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ushankar/linux-dell.html
describes how to install Fedora Core 4 on it, and reports that Fedora Core 5
boots just fine on it.

The Optiflex seems more powerful; it has a MUCH faster front-side bus available,
for example.  It also seems to have more options in terms of
video displays (good), but essentially _only_ nVidia and ATI.  Since their
usable
video drivers are proprietary, I'm very concerned that in the long term
I'll be unable to upgrade or fix my kernel or X when the vendor stops
maintaining the driver (Intel's drivers are usually open source, which have a
much
lower support risk).  It has dual core Intel Xeons (5050, 5060, 5080 etc.),
which I'm pretty sure also support VT, and have hyper-threading, etc.
It's more, but if it's WORTH more that may be okay.  But what concerns
me most is the potential for lots of install problems or display driver
maintenance problems.  I also can't find much in the way of Xen experience with
it,
which gives me pause as well.

Any suggestions?  Current users of either system?

Thanks so much.  Hopefully the information I gathered (above) is useful too.

--- David A. Wheeler