Re: [Xen-users] How to make a copy (backup) of domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to make a copy (backup) of domU
From: FB <fbo2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:53:46 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 02:54:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 08:37:48PM -0400, Edson Manners wrote:
> I have tried copying a domU and its config file as a means of creating a
> full backup of a domU but I get filesystem errors when I try to roll back
> to the old file. How does every one else here backup there domU's. Thanks.

You can do it your way - but you've got to shutdown the domu before
backing it up. If your root partition is an XFS-filesystem, you might
be able to dump a running domu-filesystem-image after calling xfs_freeze
(inside the domu). However, I wouldn't recommend using XFS as root filesystem.

The other option is to use some kind of network backup client in your domu
or tar/cpio/dump all necessary partitions somewhere.

I just tar all my domu's root-partitions into a network filesystem
directory.

Regards,

FB