[Xen-users] XenU crashes on kernel upgrade

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XenU crashes on kernel upgrade
From: emanners <emanners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:36:51 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:36:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
System specs
ACompaq SP750, Dual Pentium III's, 1GB RAM 2 SCSI drives as one LVM unit 60GB, 1 ide drive 120GB(not being used), FC5, xen-3.0.2-3.FC5

Dom0 - 25GB avail ~750MB ram, 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0 #1 SMP
DomU - 8GB total, 3GB avail, 256MB Ram, 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5xenU #1 SMP

Whenever I upgrade to 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xenU with yum and reboot the domU crashes irreparably. I dont even get the option of choosing *which* kernel to boot from. I didn't have X installed on dom0 at that point so I couldnt send the error message in the email then but I will makeit happen again f I have to paste the error message.

That brings me to my real problem. I haven't been able to find documentation of how to make a backup copy/clone of a domU. I am very new to xen and have been working on it fervently for about a week.

I've tried copying the image file and the config file but when I mess up my running image I'm forced to run fsck on the backup when I swap it in. Is there some 'proper' way of making a copy of a domU that resides on the same machine. I would liek to be able to experiment and blow away my domU which the confidence that I can restoreit without having to 'fix' things.

Thanks