[Xen-users] Getting VMX (VT-X) enabled XEN

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Getting VMX (VT-X) enabled XEN
From: "Derek Sherlock" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:40:38 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 02:47:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(This question might be better directed to a Gentoo group.  Not sure if my problem is Gentoo-specific or not.  I've requested a login to the Gentoo forums, but while I wait for autorization, perhaps someone here knows the answer...)

I want to use Xen on an Intel core2 Duo system with unmodified WinXP guest OS.  The dom0 OS is Gentoo running Xen.  Both the xen hypervisor and the dom0 kernel were compiled from sources installed by emerge.

What I've done so far...
  I've got the hypervisor and dom0 up and running, and all the xen tools installed, xend running, etc.
  I've tested it with a simple domU (ttylinux, using the domU kernel compiled under Gentoo).
  I've verified that my /proc/cpuinfo contains the vtx flag.
  I've checked the 'xm dmesg' output for any indication that my system may have vtx disabled by bios.  It doesn't.

The problem:  I can't find any VMX-specific files in my installation.  For example, there's no /etc/xen/xmexample.vmx, no file named vmxloader anywhere on the system, etc.

The gentoo Xen HOWTO warns that libsdl must be installed prior to compuling xen itsself, or Xen will build itsself in a VMX-incompatible way.  And I may have violated that.  But, I've since re-installed both libsdl and xen, and I _still_ can't find xmexample.vmx or vmxloader.

Any clues?
Thanks,
Derek.