[Xen-users] using FAI and XEN?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] using FAI and XEN?
From: "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:46:23 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:47:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is anyone using FAI <http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/> to
install DomU's?

Our infrastructure is based heavily on using FAI for reproducing
server configs so consolidating servers would go much nicer if if we
could build the DomU's with FAI.

I've not put too much effort into solving my problems yet as I hope
someone else ahs solved them for me :)

The DomU doesn't seem to want to net boot (I'm assuming this is a
compilation issue).  But even when I get past that there's the issue
of modifying the config between install (nfs root) and production
(/dev/sda1 root) which is a little awkward.

Is anyone doing this?

It would be nice to have boot priorities for DomU's so if the primary
boot device is blank then a secondary device is used for boot
strapping.  Since the kernel is actually coming from the Dom0's
fielsystem this probably isn't trivial though.

-Jon