[Xen-users] X server in a domU, with pci access and no X in dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] X server in a domU, with pci access and no X in dom0
From: nicko.koinkoin@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:02:38 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:03:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everybody

I try to have a running X server in a domU.

What I want is not to have an X server in dom0, for security purposes. I know
that it is not an easy thing, but I need it. First I hide the video card from
dom0, what is working fine. Indeed, lspci in dom0 doesn't show the video card.

I give direct access to the video card to my domU, thanks to its configuration
file. But in fact I can't launch my X server. Indeed, during the boot of my
domU, I got the following error message :

assuming iso-8859-1 acute
assuming iso-8859-1 diaeresis
assuming iso-8859-1 brokenbar
assuming iso-8859-1 threequarters
assuming iso-8859-1 currency
assuming iso-8859-1 onehalf
assuming iso-8859-1 onequarter
assuming iso-8859-1 currency
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

 * Error loading key mappings
                                                                          [ !! ]
 * Setting terminal encoding to ASCII ...                                 [ ok ]
 * Setting user font ...Couldnt open //dev/vc/1
Couldnt open //dev/vc/2
Couldnt open //dev/vc/3
Couldnt open //dev/vc/4
Couldnt open //dev/vc/5
Couldnt open //dev/vc/6
Couldnt open //dev/vc/7
Couldnt open //dev/vc/8
Couldnt open //dev/vc/9
Couldnt open //dev/vc/10
Couldnt open //dev/vc/11

 * Failed to set user font
                                                                          [ !! ]

So of course when typing startx, I got :

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such device)

I use Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.4.30 as my domU (the same for dom0, but there
is no error messages during dom0 boot), the configuration file of my domU is:

kernel  = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.30-xenU-basic"

memory  = 128

name    = "domU"

nics    = 1

vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:00:00:d2, bridge=xen-br0']

disk = ['phy:/dev/hda5,hda1,w',
        'phy:/dev/hda6,hda2,w']

root = "/dev/hda1 ro";

#extra="xencons=ttyS console=tty0"
extra="console=tty0"

pci=['02,00,0']

I also try to append the same options to my domU kernel as the ones of dom0, but
thus no console is available during boot, so no display at all.
Please let's me know if what I try is a crazy thing, or if someone has already
suceeded in having a running and usable X server in a domU with no X in dom0,
or if it can be a Gentoo specific error due to devfs.

Thanks a lot.