[Xen-users] No kernel specified - hvmloader does not exist

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] No kernel specified - hvmloader does not exist
From: Z24 <z24@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:28:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:30:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,
I am setting up a WinXP image on Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 using AM2
Pacifica hardware virtualization.

I installed Xen 3.0.2.2 binaries and when I try to create WinXP domain
I get this error:
# xm create winxp.hvm
Using config file "winxp.img".
Error: No kernel specified

I have this line in my winxp.hvm:
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
but I have no hvmloader on my disk.

Is this the cause of the error?
And where should hvmloader come from, binaries or some other package I
didn't apt-got? Or should I build Xen from the sources?

These are the changes I made to my hvm file:
name = "winxp"
memory = 384
disk = [ 'file:/vserver/xen-images/winxp.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'destroy'
on_crash    = 'destroy'
cdrom='/dev/dvdrw'
boot='d'
sdl=1
vnc=0
vncviewer=0

Note:
Before getting this error I got another error:
Error: Kernel image does not exist: /usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader
It was caused by a segmentation fault I got during the creation of the
image with this command:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=winxp.img bs=1k count=1 conv=notrunc
I solved using:
# LANG=C dd if=/dev/zero of=winxp.img bs=1k seek=20480k count=1
(it seems it's a bug in dd or gettext)

--
Z24