RE: [Xen-users] Re: dual boot windows

To: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: dual boot windows
From: "Turk, JohnX" <johnx.turk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:30:43 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:31:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I haven't seen any official guides on installing a Windows guest on Xen. But it
seems that the way to do it is fairly simple:

Make an ISO image of the installation CD and use that as the "CDROM" while
installing.

When the installer screen comes up and says "Press F6 to load third party
drivers...", don't press F6, but press F5. You won't see anything immediately,
but shortly you will see a screen that says to manually choose your HAL. Simply
choose "Standard PC" and your install should go smoothly. The only downside is
that you can't install a 64-bit flavor of Windows, nor can you get
multi-processor support.

I think this is also the same reason that you will not be able to boot an
already installed copy of Windows in Xen. Typically the HAL is for an ACPI PC,
or if you have dual core or hyperthreading, the HAL will be Multiprocessor ACPI
PC, which I don't believe anybody has working in Xen just yet.