Re: [Xen-users] Delay opening sockets

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Delay opening sockets
From: Steve Kemp <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:48:00 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:47:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 04:26:17PM +0100, Adam Smith wrote:

> Hi.  We seem to be experiencing a very odd issue with Xen 3.0 (RPM
> version under CentOS).  When establishing a socket (via any application
> - for example telnet to a mailserver on port 25) there is an almost
> precise 10 second delay before there is any throughput.  This only
> happens intermittently and appears to occur on all VDSs on the same
> system.  This does not occur on identical physical systems on the same
> network.

  Whilst this could be a Xen issue have you tested things like
 DNS?

  It could be that all the services you're attempting to connect
 to are timing out on doing lookups of the IPs which are connecting.
 (Or similarly a mailserver might be trying ident lookups.)

Steve