[Xen-users] Lose dom0 console during kernel boot

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Lose dom0 console during kernel boot
From: "Trevor Harrison" <trevorsharrison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:33:17 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:34:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a gentoo server with xen (working fine for many months) that I
recently upgraded (ouch) and ran into some problems.

When I'm booting my dom0, everything seems to be going okay until I
get to where I'm assuming init gets started.  Anyway, I get all the
kernel messages scrolling by, and then the last thing that is printed
is a notice about enabling swap.  I don't get any more console output
after that.  I'm guessing the boot process is continueing, because I
can see the hd lights flickering for a little bit after this.

If I hit c-a-d, I do get a reboot after a few seconds of delay,

[ but network access doesn't work (ie. ping or ssh). --- strike
that... ssh does indeed work now... dunno why it wasn't this weekend
when I first ran into this problem ].

Anyway, I'm now using the xen 3.0.2 package in gentoo, with xen-tools
3.0.2-r1.  My dom0 kernel is compiled from xen-sources 2.6.16.26

My grub.conf looks like:

default 0
timeout 30

title=Xen Linux 2.6.16.26 128M
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=128M
       module /vmlinuz-2.6.16.26-xen-dom0 root=/dev/md1