Re: [Xen-users] AoE does not discover

To: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] AoE does not discover
From: Tracy R Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:09:09 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:10:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Javier Guerra wrote:
the AoE driver merged in the mainline Linux kernel is very old; better try to use the Coraid's one (if compiled as a module, no need to change the kernel)

Ah...ok, I'll check this out.

are you using AoE in the Dom0, or DomU? if DomU, you can't use routed network, since AoE isn't IP, even on bridge, i wouldn't be surprised if the bridge get's in the way of discovery. also, if you use it in DomU, each packet would pass at least twice thought Dom0 before getting to the DomU.

I am using AoE in the Dom0. This machine is completely diskless. The machine boots, pxe gets an ip, it tftp's xen, a kernel, and an initrd and mounts the initrd and runs the init script which loads some modules, loads the xen module, ip's up an ethernet interface, and then we do echo 1 > /dev/aoe/discover to find aoe devices. As I understand it the bridges are ethernet bridges so they should be able to pass raw ethernet frames. But that does not matter because Dom0 will be getting the AoE devices and passing them to the DomU's as block devices to be used.

in short, the AoE initiator should be in Dom0

It definitely is.

ethernet. If I run tethereal on the vblade machine looking for some sort
of AoE related traffic I see nothing coming across the wire. I do see

Again, since AoE isn't IP, you should look for ethernet frames type 0x88A2

Hmm...I thought ethereal would show us everything by default, even non-ip packets.

I am compiling a non-xen kernel now just as a test to see if AoE works any better without xen.

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right