[Xen-users] mem-set, mem-max, increasing memory for a dom.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] mem-set, mem-max, increasing memory for a dom.
From: fess <fess-xenlists@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:28:18 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:29:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I assume this is an FAQ, but i couldn't find hardly any explainations,
can someone point me at the right documentation or provide an answer please.

How do xm mem-set and xm mem-max work?
How are they related to the memory used in the conf file for xm create. [ ie is that mem-max. ]

Can you increase a domU's memory?
I have an 8G machine, and I wanted to increase one domU from 1.5G to 6G.
so I ran

  xm mem-set 6000M

and xm list then shows this new value, however inside the domU top/free don't show any change.

I try again with:

  xm mem-max 6000M

and again without the M modifier. [ does' mem-set require that, is the default in megabytes? ]
and no change.

Does one have to reboot to increase mem?
Does one have to recreate to increase mem?
What are the best policies for allocating memory amongst domU's?
should one give every domU as much as possible, but use mem-set to bring it's actual usage down?

Thanks for any help in understanding how memory is supposed to be managed.

--fess