[Xen-users] Shadow paging with xc_shadow_control()

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Shadow paging with xc_shadow_control()
From: "Kurtz, Ryan M." <Ryan.Kurtz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:46:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 05:47:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Has anyone successfully used xc_shadow_control() to determine when pages have been dirtied?  I can't seem to find any documentation on how this function behaves given different parameters.  The only place I can find this function being used is in a function called xc_linux_save(), but the usages of xc_shadow_control() in that case don't seem to be enough for me to go on.  In particular:

1.  What exactly do the flags DOM0_SHADOW_CONTROL_OP_CLEAN and DOM0_SHADOW_CONTROL_OP_PEEK do?  What is their effect on the dirty bitmap that can optionally be provided?

2.  Why is the dirty bitmap an array of unsigned longs?  Are they true bitmaps in the sense that 1 bit of each array element (a long) represents the dirtiness of exactly 1 page?  In xc_linux_save() each byte of the "bitmap" seems to represent the dirtiness of a page, not each bit (if i did my calculations correctly).

3.  How do you specifiy what pages the dirty bitmap you provide to the xc_shadow_control() method represent?  If I am only interested in tracking the dirtiness of a couple pages, is this possible?  All examples track the dirtiness of ALL pages.

Thanks,
Ryan