Re: [Xen-users] Strange RPC error

To: efphe <effetom@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Strange RPC error
From: Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:15:50 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:17:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
efphe wrote:

I'm tryng to set up Xen, I have errors and google does not help me.

The situation is simple: I installed Xen-3.0.2 on gentoo.

By following the instructions at http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Xen ?

Aside from the xen-related ebuilds and their dependencies, you're running a stable up-to-date Gentoo system?

The Dom0 kernel is up and running, all works perfectly. But when I try to start a DomU, xm raises this error:

# xm create -c <conf_file>
Using config file <conf_file>
Error: <ProtocolError: RPC2/: -1>

Log shows an error while loading the DomU:

[2006-07-06 18:50:10 xend] CRITICAL (SrvDaemon:190) Xend died due to signal 6!
Restarting it.

You need to find out why Xend is being terminated by the kernel (ie. signal 6).

Make sure you have "(loglevel DEBUG)" in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and check out /var/log/{xend.log,xend-debug.log}

You may need to remerge xen with the debug USE-flag set, so debugging symbols will be available in any core dumps produced by xend.

Don't forget to enable core dumps by running "ulimit -c unlimted" prior to starting Xen. If necessary, stop xend from autostarting at boot ("rc-update del xend default").

Once xend has been terminated with signal 6 it should produce a core dump, which you may have to search for using something like "find / -name core -type f" - you might like to read http://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and%20Tricks/coredump.htm to see how the name of core dumps can be changed.

Once you've located the core dump run "file path-to-core-dump" to see what program caused it, then load the program and core dump into gdb (which you'll need to emerge, if you don't already have it) with "gdb path-to-program path-to-core". At the prompt type "backtrace", which should help identify exactly where in xend the crash occurred.

These instructions are C-specific, so may not be as useful for a python-based program, such as xend. Hopefully, a xen hacker can weigh in on this.

Cheers

Andrew