RE: [Xen-users] Windows XP, Drivers & Xen

To: "Michael Ben-Nes" <miki@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows XP, Drivers & Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:57:25 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:58:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Everyone
>

> I'm very interested at Xen and i want to use it on a new Intel core2
> computer with VT-x support ( which I hope will be under my
> hands soon ).
>

> I want to install both Linux and Windows XP using Xen.
>

> I was wonder if:
>

> First, Is it matter what are the kernel parameters of the
> Linux OS ( dom0 ).
>
> I mean do I need to tune the kernel for best performance ? ( like
> /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax ).

Make it as small as possible is a pretty good target - that will give
you as much memory as possible for other domains, which is where you'll
want to use it, most likely.

> Second, what kind of drivers will the XP require. the
> hardware drivers
> or something else.

Standard supplied drivers will work just fine.

> I'm asking this because beside coding I also love to play
> demanding 3D
> games. and I wondered is it possible to install NVIDIA / ATI
> drivers on
> a virtualized XP.

Short answer no, you can't play games/run heavy 3D apps on an emulated
Windows just yet.

If you want the longer answer, please look for "3D Graphics" in the
archives of this mailing list, as I've written the answer at least 6
times by now...

--
Mats