[Xen-users] ttyS0 doesn't exist

To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] ttyS0 doesn't exist
From: Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:45:52 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:46:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm frustrated, and confused.  Someone send me a light bulb.

I have a UPS attached to the only serial port on a Dell PowerEdge
1600SC.  When I boot the system with the xen kernel, ttyS0 NEVER gets
created.

I though that perhaps the default xen kernel config was the problem, so
I configured a new one, based on the kernel config from the RHEL 4 (U3)
kernel (which is running in dom0).  I built the new kernel, installed
it, and amazingly, the damned device STILL isn't available.  Now my hair
is falling out.

What in the hell is wrong?  Why the hell won't this work:

title Xen (2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1)
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /xen.gz console=vga
   module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen ro root=/dev/vg00/root xencons=off
pciback.hide=(00:06.0) noirqdebug

If xencons is set to "vga", ttyS0 is still missing.

Here's the damned error in /var/log/messages:

kernel: WARNING: Failed to register Xen virtual console driver as 'tty1'

Sooooo, something's broken.  I know many, many, many people are using
these console features successfully.  I just want them turned off so I
can monitor the UPS from dom0.

I suppose I won't have a real, dependable solution until Red Hat
releases RHEL 5, which will support xen natively.  Until then, I'd like
to get xen working correctly with RHEL 4.

Please, anyone, throw me a bone.  I'm not a clueless Linux hack.  But,
this has me completely up the wall.

Regards,
Ranbir

--