RE: [Xen-users] Expected network throughput

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Expected network throughput
From: "Roger Lucas" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:43:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:44:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I posted the original question to this list a few days ago but I got no
reply, perhaps because my question was too open.

I have tried various different combinations and found that the biggest
difference to network performance was the schedule slice configuration.

If I set up an iperf test from DomU - DomU - DomU then I get about 35 Mbits
using the default settings.  If I set all the Domains to a schedule period
of 100ms and a slice of 10ms then the throughput leaps to about 100 Mbits.
Changing the slice value seems to make little difference, but all the
domains must be set to the same value to get the throughput improvement.

Can someone explain why this is?

Also, I appreciate that the Celeron 2.8 GHz isn't the fastest processor
around (although it isn't slow by any means).  If I want to run a system
with around 4 - 8 virtual machines, would I get a large boost in performance
if I went to a Pentium 4 or even a Pentium D?  Perhaps there a table or
performance summary somewhere for different configurations on different
processors or a set of benchmark results?  Even a hand-waving "rule of
thumb" or similar would be useful...

Thanks,

Roger