Re: [Xen-users] Re: Hardware differences for 2 xen servers?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Hardware differences for 2 xen servers?
From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:26:53 +1200
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:28:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/21/06, Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 >> My question is, how close to the dom0 servers need to be to run a
 >> domU on either?
 >> Do they need to be the same hardware type.. etc etc etc?
> Nope, because the dom0 provides a nice hardware abstraction layer.
this can be very wrong if you want to use (live)-migration!

If you just want to start a VM, shutdown it later and restart it on the
other server, the two machines can be different.

This is how we intend to use at this stage anyway. The server
equptiment we are looking at is a IBM xSeries 336 for primary with
dual HT Xeons and a xSeries 306m with with a single HT Pentium 4...
RAID 5 on the primary, and RAID 1 on the fail over.

This setup will run 1 domU for mail storage and processing and
multiple domUs for pop/imap/smtp proxys and multiple apache/php/mysql
domUs. These are setup for virtual ASP clients.

Simon