[Xen-users] Is it possible to run Xen under QEMU?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Is it possible to run Xen under QEMU?
From: Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:24:16 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:25:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Since Xen won't run on my desktop PC, I thought I'd try running it
under QEMU instead, so that I could still have a play with it and see
if it's worth moving our production server from UML over to Xen.

Unfortunately I can't get Xen to boot properly under QEMU either - the
kernel seems fine, it comes up, detects everything and mounts the root
filesystem, but as soon as it goes to run init, it just sits there
doing nothing at 100% CPU usage.

I can type things into the console and the magic SysRq key works so
it's not completely frozen, but it never runs init.  The original dom0
kernel I was booting was configured for a P4 so I recompiled it as a
P2, and that didn't work so I recompiled without SMP support but it's
still getting stuck loading init.

Is it even possible to run Xen under QEMU?  This was Xen 3.0.2-2 and
Linux 2.6.16.16.  As with my desktop PC, it works fine running the same
kernel version without Xen (the only config differences between the
kernels being those related to Xen itself.)

Has anyone managed to get Xen working under QEMU?  Or is there another
way to test Xen when it won't run natively?

Thanks,
Adam.