Re: [Xen-users] Cloning VM's

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cloning VM's
From: "Molle Bestefich" <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:14:29 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:15:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Javier Guerra wrote:
this is rather unfortunate, since block level snapshots are a great feature.
does
anybody know if this is problem is on the kernel device mapper or on the LVM
userspace tools?

Not sure.
We're trying to circumvent as much as possible :/.
Here's the gory details, perhaps there's some inspiration you can use.

We need snapshots to make consistent images of filesystems too, since
we need to make backups of live filesystems even with unionfs and all.
We tried LVM, but it kept corrupting filesystems, including the base
volumes used for the snapshots.

Eventually, we did four things:
* Move to using EVMS as the userspace tool.
* Don't create or remove any snapshots, only activate and deactive them.
* Only activate the snapshots for very short periods of time.

This has not corrupted anything yet (*crosses fingers*)!...
I hope of course that it's because we have excluded the faulty
component from the equation, but it might just as well be because
we're limiting usage of the actual snapshot code to a very limited
timeframe.

In any case, this is so far "good enough" for us, since we have daily
remote backups from which we can restore relatively quickly.