Re: [Xen-users] Suse on FC4-Xen

To: "Jonathan Ervine" <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>, claris.castillo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Suse on FC4-Xen
From: "Claris Castillo" <ccastil@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:36:46 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:37:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jonathan, thnaks for your reply!
Are you talking about makinitrd rpm in CD1?
I have looked for inst-initrd but it seems is generated?

I have Xen3 based on FC4. I have domains running on FC4. Creating FC4 domains was pretty straight forward (creating an image, installing FC4 on the image with yum, etcc There was good documentation on this). However I have never used Suse before but I am sure I can learn pretty fast.  There is any simlar procedure to intsall Suse on an image file as FC4?  Is there any BASE installation?  Could you give me a brief of how should I proceed?

I am emaling you outside the list BUT I will post the solution as soon as I make it work.

Thanks
cc

On 6/9/06, Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
On Friday 09 June 2006 07:06, Claris Castillo wrote:
> I have been able to setup FC guest domains on Xen FC4 successfully.
> However, I have spent hours "googling" on how to create a Suse Domain on
> Xen (FC) and
>
> have not been able to find anything about it.  I am particularly confused
> about (1) where
> to obtain the kernel (DomU) that should be put on /boot  and (2) how to
> create a
> Suse Image in the guest domain.

Not sure about the FC supplied utilities for configuring and starting new
DomUs, but with SUSE - presumably you're talking about either SUSE Linux 10.1
or SLES 10 - the XEN enabled kernel  is called:
vmlinuz-2.6.16.16-1.6-xen and is part of the kernel-xen RPM

You'll also need an initrd which can be extracted from the
mkinst-initrd RPM on CD4 - the file you're looking for is called inst-initrd.

I can send along my initial installation xen config file for SLES10 if you
want (it's not very complex though)

Hope this helps,
Jon

Claris Castillo