Re: [Xen-users] HA Xen on 2 servers!! No NFS, special hardware, DRBD or

To: chris@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HA Xen on 2 servers!! No NFS, special hardware, DRBD or iSCSI...
From: Matthew Wild <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:31:47 +0100
Cc: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:32:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 07 June 2006 16:19, Chris de Vidal wrote:

> > > Cool, thanks for answering that.
> > >
> > > I have a question about your setup: After you live-migrate can you then
> > > power off the first node?
> >
> > I must admit it's not something we explicitly tried, but I don't see why
> > not. Apart from the configuration file and the contents of the log files,
> > there's nothing on the node you've migrated from to suggest the domU ever
> > existed there.
>
> Now I'm scratching my brain to figure out just how that's possible... does
> it copy the entire DomU over, including the hard drive?

No, the "hard drive" for the domU is provided via iSCSI from a storage server
box. As long as the domU configuration points to a vbd with the same scsi
label on each dom0 box, and they're online, xen can handle the migration.

Matthew
--
Matthew Wild                       Tel.: +44 (0)1235 445173
M.Wild@xxxxxxxx                    URL http://www.ukssdc.ac.uk/