RE: [Xen-users] DomU dhcp issue

To: "'Henning Sprang'" <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] DomU dhcp issue
From: "Bernard Golden" <bgolden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:57:27 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:58:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dom0 runs dhcp. All other clients on network receive dhcp addresses no
problem.

I did a vanilla install of suse 10.1 as DomU. It comes up just fine, but
does not get an address. If I execute dhclient it goes out and gets an
address no problem

I looked in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp. In it, it has DHCLIENT_BIN=""

According to the comment just above that entry, that means it should try
dhcpcd, the dhclient. So it seems like the file is set up correctly.

So it seems like it should go out and get an address, but doesn't. I'm not
very familiar with dhcp (as it works great on all other machines on network)
so am not sure where I should look to see if dhcp client is configured to
run at system startup, nor do I know where the log is located. Guidance
toward these two things would be very appreciated.

Bernard Golden
Chief Executive Officer, Navica
www.navicasoft.com
Author, "Succeeding with Open Source," Addison-Wesley, 2005
(T) 650 585 5309 (C) 650 400 3204 (F) 650 591 3805
Sign up for Navica's monthly open source newsletter
Read my open source blog for CIO Magazine