Re: [Xen-users] Unmodified Linux. Installation hangs.

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Unmodified Linux. Installation hangs.
From: "Serge Dubrouski" <sergeyfd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:34:43 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:35:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, My Dell 830 has Pentium D with VT enabled in the BIOS. Installing
windows was easy:

1. Create an empty image file with dd.
2. Use /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm as an example config file.
3. Install Windows into DomU form CDROM.

As for my troubles with Linux. Paravirtualized Linux works all right.
I have a bunch of different flavors of Linux running in that mode:
Mandrake, CentOS, Fedora, etc... But I have constant problems with
unmodified Linux, i.e. Linux with the native distro kernel, not Xen
kernel. Now somehow I managed to install Centos (I had to shut down my
WinXP domains for that), but it hangs on boot up process just after
uncompressing kernel. xm dmesg shows:

(XEN) (GUEST: 29) *** int 15h function AX=E980, BX=E6F5 not yet supported!
(XEN) (GUEST: 29) int13_harddisk: function 02, unmapped device for ELDL=81
(XEN) (GUEST: 29) int13_harddisk: function 41, unmapped device for ELDL=81

It's really funny to be able to run Windows under Linux/XEN but not
able to run Linux under Linux/XEN.