Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.2 on Dell 1850 - unable to recognize root fs on

To: Stephen Yum <steveyum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.2 on Dell 1850 - unable to recognize root fs on /dev/md2
From: David F Barrera <dfbp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:41:09 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:42:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Make sure you have SCSI support built in:

# SCSI device support
#
CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

You may also need MPT support:

CONFIG_FUSION=y
CONFIG_FUSION_SPI=y

Stephen Yum wrote:
I'm trying to run Xen 3.0.2 on a Dell 1850 that has the following specs:

2 x dual core 2.8Ghz Xeons
LSI something or rather SCSI controller
2GB of RAM
2 x 73GB Ultra SCSI 320 Maxtor drives

I have the two hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration, where /dev/md2 is the root partition.

my grub.conf/menu.lst file looks like this:

title Xen 3.0
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/md2 ro console=tty0

No matter what I try, it always does a kernel panic complaining about md2. So rather than using the binary files, I compiled a custom kernel with options for SCSI, RAID0, RAID1 and drivers for LSI SCSI stuff built in as static, rather than modules.

Same thing. The boot is always interrupted by the kernel panic complaining about md2. Has someone gotten Xen to run on such a setup? If so, can you offer any pointers?

Regards,

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "
Euripides