Re: [Xen-users] Error creating domain: (22, 'Invalid argument')

To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error creating domain: (22, 'Invalid argument')
From: "Demetri Mouratis" <dmourati.xen.users@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:12:59 -0700
Cc: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 May 2006 09:13:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/4/06, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
Demetri Mouratis wrote:
> I'm running into this on FC5:
>
> [root@db4 ~]# xm create -c xendomain1
> Using config file "/etc/xen/xendomain1".
> Going to boot Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp )
>   kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp
>   initrd: /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
> Error: Error creating domain: (22, 'Invalid argument')

What does the xend-debug.log say?

> The physical hardware is 2GB and I'm creating xen guests running:

What is a 2GB physical hardware? Can you explain? Probably you mean RAM
or Harddisk, but I don't see what it has to do with your problem. the
PAE extensions you mention are only needed with more than 4GB of RAM, so
I don't see why you should need it.

> xenguest-install.py -n xendomain1 -f /home/xen/xendomain1 -s 25 -r 256
> -l http://ops1.rnmd.net/fedora/core/5/i386/os -x ks=
> http://ops1.rnmd.net/kickstart/cfgs/ks-fedora-core-5-xen-guest.cfg
> < http://ops1.rnmd.net/kickstart/cfgs/ks-fedora-core-5-xen-guest.cfg>

That's a a fedora-specific script, and it might be better supported on
the fedora-xen mailing list. If it creates a xen config that is unable
to be started, it has some bug probably.

Henning

Henning,

Thanks for the reply.  It was a bit of a late night last night ;-)

You are correct, the 2GB I specified was physical RAM.  I agree I don't need PAE.  The thing is, the BIOS has it enabled and the kernels available from the FC 5 project have it enabled by default.  I need to stick with a RPM for the kernels/userspace utilities, else roll my own and maintain it.  That said, I'm not opposed to tracking this down by compiling kernels/userspace utilities from source.

I've used the Fedora script successfully on another Xeon box.  This db4 box happens to be Pentium D at 3.00 GHz.  This is why I suspect some interplay between PAE and Xen is breaking things.

Thanks.