Re: [Xen-users] Basic question: Does Windows on Xen work now VT is here?

To: "Serge Dubrouski" <sergeyfd@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Basic question: Does Windows on Xen work now VT is here?
From: "David Goodlad" <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:28:21 -0700
Delivery-date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:28:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/28/06, Serge Dubrouski <sergeyfd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you provide a brief description of that configuration? How did you
build a root image for Windows and what do you have in xen config
file?

I created an empty disk image, something like this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=winxp.img bs=1024 count=1 seek=5000k

I built a config file (winxp.conf) that looks like the following
(based on the sample config that comes with xen):

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
   arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
   arch_libdir = 'lib'

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

# The domain build function. HVM domain uses 'hvm'.
builder='hvm'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 256

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "winxp"

# Ethernet device
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3E:00:00:04' ]

# Disk image
disk = [ 'file:/home/dave/xen-domUs/winxp.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]

# New stuff
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

# CD-ROM device or disk image
cdrom="/dev/cdrom"

# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
#boot="c" # use after installation
boot="d" # use for installing windows, to boot from cd

# enable SDL console
sdl=1

# disable VNC console - I've had problems with it...
vnc=0
vncviewer=0

# set realtime clock to local time
localtime=1

#---- end winxp.conf

I booted this config (xm create winxp.conf) with my windows cd in the
drive, installed as usual, then changed the config to have 'boot="c"'
to boot from the disk image instead of the cd-rom.

One thing to make sure of, that threw me off for awhile, is that if
you are running X as a regular user you need to make sure that when
you 'su' to root you are still able to connect to the X server.  Just
run 'xterm' as root to make sure.  If this is not setup properly, the
SDL console window just won't appear!

Hope that helps!
Dave