[Xen-users] SATA Controller Loosing Interrupt During High Speed Access T

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] SATA Controller Loosing Interrupt During High Speed Access To RAID Array
From: "Paul M." <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:23:47 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 02:49:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 A server I've been setting up has been experiencing "lockups" during
sustained high speed access to its hardware RAID controller. The
"lockup" is actual the system loosing access to the SATA disk that the
system partitions reside on. The error message reported to the console
leads me to believe that the SATA disk/controller "lost" its
interrupt.
 I'm fairly sure that this isn't power or hardware related. And I'm
betting that 3ware's Linux drives on amd64 are stable. But I won't be
able to rule these out for sure until I run a few more tests. After I
finish this I'll capture the error message if it still looks to be Xen
related.
 I'm posting this now to see if this sort of thing has been seen before.

Hard:
1x dual core opteron 275
4GB RAM
Silicone Image SATA controller
w/ 1x SATA drive
3WARE ESCALAD 9550SX-4LP SATA
w/ 2x SATA drives

Soft:
Xen 3.0.1 & 3.0.2
dom0 Debian 31r0a
Using a custom compiled kernel

I run into problems when I use dd to either read or write a >=8GB file
to the drive. Light disk access does not cause problems. When I ran
the array in RAID1 (~75MB/s sustained write) I didn't get any errors.
When I switched it to RAID0 (~150MB/s sustained write) the errors came
back.

Lemme know if you have any thoughts on this. I'll repost when I have
more information.

-Paul