Re: [Xen-users] VMWARE Player alternative

> Sort of like http://qemu.codemonkey.ws/screenshots/main-window.png
>
> I don't think Fabrice likes the idea of integrating a GTK GUI into QEmu
> though.  Exposing a proper VNC display could be a viable solution though
> (especially now that QEmu has a proper absolute mouse).

Actually, I thought he did like the idea of a GTK gui - ISTR him saying it'd
be a good idea.  No idea how much integration he'd want, but has he not
merged a Cocoa display layer already?

Using VNC seems a bit unfortunate when you're on the same system, although I
guess it's not going to hurt the performance of the Cirrus VGA emulation that
much and does give network transparency...

> Actually, there are other alternatives.  One could write a kernel module
> that implemented enough of the Xen hypercall interface such that you
> could run a Xen guest on a normal Linux kernel.
>
> Then it's just a matter of creating a GUI.

Mmmmm, yes.  I was thinking along the lines of something that could be
implemented a bit more straightforwardly, but I certainly think the idea of a
Xen kernel module deserves examination.

Some company has, in fact, already implemented what you describe.  But they
reimplement Xen rather than porting it to run as a module.  Personally, I'd
like to see Xen ported to the CoLinux framework, allowing it to run
co-operatively as a module in both Windows and Linux (and maybe MacOS if one
day they implement a CoLinux interface for Darwin).

Cheers,
Mark

> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori
>
> > There are lots of little tricks you can do to make the tools nice.
> > Scrapbook for UML allows you to click on a hyperlink to a running UML
> > virtual machine and have that VM appear with a virtual display on your
> > computer. This can be used (for instance) to demo software - click a
> > link on the vendor's homepage and get a virtual machine with the
> > product up and running. If you don't like it, just ditch that VM. If
> > you do, then install the software properly. Pretty neat, and there are
> > lots of possibilities too.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.