[Xen-users] dom0 packet loss

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] dom0 packet loss
From: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:21:40 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:22:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm sure the old-timers will remember my posts awhile back about Xen 2.0.x and
intermittent (but reproducible) network loss in the form of total hangs of
the network paths to both dom0 and domU.  It was explained away at the time
as a design problem (something about queues being exhausted was one potential
culprit) that would be resolved in Xen 3.0.

I'm now on Xen 3.0.2 and I'm seeing similar problems -- setup a ping to dom0
and over a period of a few hours there will be occasional packet loss.  It
isn't yet as bad as it was before at only about one packet in 500, but it's
still troubling, particularly given that I'm not yet running any domU's and
that the box is completely idle -- not that that should matter anyway.  How
can this be?  What can cause dom0 to just discard packets?

Thanks,
  John

--
John Madden