RE: [Xen-users] Xen on AMD64 with Desktop on domU

To: "Samir Mishra" <sqmishra@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen on AMD64 with Desktop on domU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:19:07 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:19:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, that would work in theory - although you'd have to have two
different monitors (or a monitor switch or a monitor with two inputs to
switch between) as the video output would come out through two different
connectors. So your graphics would be out of the nVidia card and the PCI
graphics card would be your Dom0 output.

However, I very much doubt this will work in actual practice [as I once
read: In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice - in
practice there is...] The difficulty would be to have a driver that is
"Xen-clean" or "Xen-aware". Since the low-level driver for the graphics
card is a kernel driver, it will have access to all sorts of
kernel-internal information, and some of this is managed by Xen and
should not be used directly by for instance a driver. Xen fixes this by
patching [changing some macros in header-files is the key part of this]
the kernel drivers that are included in the kernel itself. But the
nVidia drivers are closed source, so they are not patchable by this
method...

> Could I achieve something similar by installing Xorg in dom0
> and domU and running XDMCP to connect to domU? This would
> mean a more complicated package management scenario. I guess
> it all depends on how well the nvidia drivers play with Xen.

I'm not familiar with XDMCP, but you can certainly use any method that
uses networking to transmit the X drawing commands to your Dom0...

--
Mats