Re: [Xen-users] cluster filesystems

To: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] cluster filesystems
From: Philipp Jäggi <philipp.jaggi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:22:59 +0200
Cc: Brock Palen <brockp@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:44:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Brock

I did a lot of case studies with clustered filesystems 1,5 years ago and I found out then, that the only usable and free clustered filesystem that exists for linux is ocfs2. All the rest isn't cost free or s...

I've you have the monney, go for veritas.

bye Philipp

Philipp Jäggi
SNCT Sandweiler
bp 23
L-5230 Sandweiler

"Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

04/09/2006 12:34 AM

Brock Palen <brockp@xxxxxxxxx>
cc
Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject

Brock Palen wrote:
> Im curious as to what shared filesystems people have been using for
> domU's I know you can use NFS but i would hardly call that a robust
> shared filesystem,  I come from HPC ware we like performacnce more than
> reliablity (PVFS2)  What shared filesystems have you used and how have
> you liked them,  or how much work was it to use them as the / drive on
> domU's,   (intersted in migration) Luster, GFS, GPFS, etc?

I use GFS on changeset 9029, but it craps out all of the time.  I get a
lot of soft lockups in the GFS and CMAN drivers, unsynchrnoized GFS
partitions, etc.  I'm hoping that all of the bugs fixed in 3.0.2 will
make things more stable.  (If not, it's bug report time.)  Even though I
would like to use it as the root partition for all of the VMs, I don't.

I also use NFS on a Xen 2 setup.  That one works fine, but the
performance is awful.

--
Christopher G. Stach II