Re: [Xen-users] Xen for intel mac?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen for intel mac?
From: Mark Petersen <mtp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 20:21:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:24:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 08:12 PM 4/7/2006, you wrote:
Just reading the OS compatibility page on the xensource wiki; Under Xen 3.0 / Unmodified OS it says 'Initial support for unmodified guests when using Intel VTX hardware, e.g. Windows'.

There could be issues with TPM and the like, stuff that locks down Darwin to Apple machines. You also need some way to turn on VT technology in those Core Duo processors, or maybe it's already enabled through EFI?

Graphics support would be part of what I mean by 'get Xen running' in the context of an intel mac since I imagine that 'support for unmodified guests' means osx could boot (as a guest ... alongside 'e.g. Windows', linux, etc).

Having said that, I have no idea how (or even if) Xen manages competing demands for graphics hardware by unmodified guest os'. Would ATI drivers for linux be enough?

You would be definitely be limited to remote desktop, same as Windows is mostly limited to RDP. I doubt OS X will ever be able to run as a Dom0 since you would have to be able to build a supported custom kernel.