RE: [Xen-users] hardware accelerated 3D-graphics in Win-XP-domU possible

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Martin Nicolay" <m.nicolay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] hardware accelerated 3D-graphics in Win-XP-domU possible?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:56:39 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:58:35 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, it's definitely doable - and the beauty of MS's foresight when it
comes to a flexible driver design means that if you don't fancy
implementing a complicated driver function, you can tell Windows "I
can't do this" - either by returning a special return value, or by not
giving a function-pointer to that function in the first place. Windows
will then work around the problem by doing it with more basic
functionality from the driver. For a 2D driver, this means that you
would only have to implement something like 5 different driver calls to
start off - anything else can be implemented as "speed optimisations"
later on. And this driver would probably still be faster than the
current QEMU emulation - as the current QEMU emulation uses a pretty
standard VGA driver, which doesn't do much more than the bare minimum in
"advanced" operations anyways.

Obviously, to get good 3D performance, a fair bit of D3D has to be
implemented, but far from all of it.

--
Mats