[Xen-users] Help - Using the NFS server under DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Help - Using the NFS server under DomU
From: Eric Tessler <maiden1134@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:08:23 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:09:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am trying to use the NFS server (NFS version 3) in my VM using a DomU kernel (Fedora Core 3 - 2.6.11.12-xenU). It is not working for me. I see that many other people got it to work and I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me what the problem might be.

For DomU, I enabled all of the appropriate NFS modules (statically linked in the kernel), rebuilt the kernel, updated my VM to use the new kernel (including copying all of the lib/modules to the VM) and booted my VM. I started the NFS server (everything starts OK) and shared a folder in the VM. According to exportfs, my folder is shared. When I try to mount to the share either locally from within the VM itself or remotely from an NFS client, I get the following error message:
   mount -t nfs 192.168.123.80:/tmp /mnt
   mount: 192.168.123.80:/tmp failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

Here's the wierd thing - If I shutdown my VM and update its config file to use an NFS-enabled Dom0 kernel (2.6.11.12-xen0), everything works fine. I start NFS after the VM boots and from my client I can now mount to my share and see the files in the share. I don't understand why domU is not working (my network is working fine and I don't have iptables enabled).

My NFS share is shared the following way (contents from /etc/exports):
   /tmp       *(ro,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

Any help here would be greatly appreciated; I am completely stuck on this issue.

Thanks,

Eric

Yahoo! Mail