Re: [Xen-users] domU's can't find eth0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU's can't find eth0
From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 01:28:58 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 01:57:14 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 07:05:36PM +0000, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Yesterday it was just one, but now I seem to have broken both the domUs on my
> home Xen box. I
> have rebuilt Xen from source twice now, and rebooted the dom0 a few times but
> still no luck.
>
> Basically, they no longer see eth0, and a vifx.x is not being generated for
> them.

After several more hours working on this machine I was able to restore it to a
mostly working box.

Before I noticed any trouble, I had upgraded/refreshed the udev-079 in dom0. I
possibly upgraded other packages as well, but I do not recall at this time.

Thinking that it could possibly be a problem with udev, I downgraded to 070. A
quick reboot showed no change. I then remembered that udev seems to be somewhat
linked to hotplug, so I re-emerged(Gentoo) hotplug and rebooted. The system is
now booting domUs (I'm typing this from mutt via ssh).

I am not sure that the system might not have come back with just a reinstall of
hotplug. I didn't feel like possibly breaking it just to know.

I now need to look into why I can't ssh into my dom0.

Hope this is useful to others.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/