Re: [Xen-users] Simple memory allocation question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Simple memory allocation question
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:32:46 +0000
Cc: Mike Lee <mlee@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:37:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When you specify the kernel option (dom0_mem=) for Domain0, is the RAM
> allocated to slave os's taken from the domain0 RAM amount, or are all
> the domains (including domain0) have their own memory partitions?

The latter.  If you give memory to dom0 it's not available to guests.  The
memory you give dom0 is always there for it, so you know it can't get starved
etc.

EXCEPT:

recent versions of Xen have the ability to shrink dom0 after boot-time to make
room for other guests.  In this instance, you can set a minimum memory
threshold, below which dom0 will not shrink.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!