Re: [Xen-users] Root fs on LVM on software RAID1?

On 23 Feb 2006, at 13:32, Petersson, Mats wrote:
If you give xen a "noreboot" option, it won't try to reboot when it
crashes, which will help figuring out what the error is.

That did the trick, thanks.

I think the message you'll see is that the system failed to mount the
rootfs, which usually means either:
* udev (or devfs) isn't working right - thus /dev/mapper/<whatever> is
not available when trying to mount /
* the drivers for the hard-disk-controller and/or file-system(s) is not
in your initrd [or in the kernel itself].

It was the lack of devfs, which Marcin's script fixed.

I've had both problems on my machine(s), and the fix is really to figure
out what is causing the problem and figuring out which option in your
config file needs to be twiddled to fix it. Unless you've done it
several times before, it usually means a large number of kernel builds,
mkinitrd and reboots.

Understood, though I'm attempting to do this using "out of the box" Debian and Xen downloads, i.e. no kernel rebuilds.

I'm so close now. Just one final problem, the ethernet card doesn't work in dom0 but it did work without Xen. That's not a problem for this list though.

I'm very grateful to all on the list that have helped me sort this out.

In case anyone is interested, here's what I did (just the Xen- specific bits) to install Xen 3.0.1 on Debian 3.1r1 using LVM and software RAID1:

        mkdir /usr/local/src/xen
        cd /usr/local/src/xen/
        wget http://bits.xensource.com/Xen/latest/xen-3.0.1-install-x86_32.tgz
        tar -pzxf xen-3.0.1-install-x86_32.tgz
        cd xen-3.0.1-install
        apt-get update
        apt-get install bridge-utils
        apt-get install iproute
        apt-get install python2.3
        apt-get install python
        sh ./install.sh
        update-rc.d xend defaults
        update-rc.d xendomains defaults
        mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled
        depmod 2.6.12.6-xen
        Create /etc/mkinitrd/scripts/dom0a, mode 755:
                #!/bin/bash
                # make a lvm LV node here
perl -pi -e 's,^vgchange,mount_tmpfs /devfs\nmkdir /devfs/mapper \nmknod /dev/mapper/group1-dom0slash b 253 0\nvgchange,' $INITRDDIR/ script # prevent umounting the tmp dir with the node (would happen before mounting, ruining the above mknod)
                perl -pi -e 's,^,#, if /devfs/' $INITRDDIR/sbin/init
        mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-xen-2.6.12.6-xen 2.6.12.6-xen
Add to end of /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the "default 0" to point to the new entry:
                title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
kernel /xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=262144 root=/dev/mapper/group1- dom0slash ro console=tty0
                module /vmlinuz-2.6.12-xen root=/dev/mapper/group1-dom0slash
                module /initrd.img-xen-2.6.12.6-xen
        Reboot

Cheers,

Mark.