Re: [Xen-users] Domain0 and firewalls

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Domain0 and firewalls
From: Tom Eastep <teastep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:14:51 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:15:22 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 22 February 2006 08:48, David Koski wrote:
> I am trying to configure a firewall (shorewall) for Domain0 and
> found this document:
>
> http://www.shorewall.net/Xen.html
>
> I had tried to simply install shorewall as I have done many times
> before on non-Xen systems but could not get traffic through the
> interfaces (eth0, eth1).
>
> The document above seems to imply that both eth0 and xenbr0
> interfaces have to be configured. All I am interested in is
> controlling traffic to and from Domain0, not the domUs. I want
> shorewall installed on each domU. Anyone have experience with
> this? Do domUs have special considerations when installing
> iptables rules? Can I use iptables in Domain0 on eth0 like a
> non-Xen system?

If you kernel is built with CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER=y (which most are), you
cannot totally ignore the bridge in Dom0 when configuring your firewall.
There are a couple of approaches you can take to modify a standard Shorewall
sample configuration to do what you want though:

a)
        - Add ipv4 zone 'xen' to /etc/shorewall/zones
        - add the following entry to /etc/shorewall/interfaces:

                xen     xenbr0          routeback

b)
        - Define explicit policies for all of your zone combinations
        - change the all->all policy to ACCEPT (with no logging)

I prefer a). It is similar to what I do (see
http://www.shorewall.net/XenMyWay.html).

-Tom
Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ teastep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx