Re: [Xen-users] VT or paravirtualization?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT or paravirtualization?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:57:53 +0000
Cc: Czakó Krisztián <slapic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 02:09:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What is the better solution now to run linux domUs under Xen3?
> Using a VT hardware, sould I install a xen-patched kernel as I would
> where no VT extension, or use an unmodified linux guest system?

If you can run a kernel that's been ported to Xen it'll be faster (and more
stable, at this point, since that code is more mature than the VT code) than
using an unpatched kernel.  You also get features like suspend/resume and
migration, which are not currently available for unpatched guests.

> Is there any performance difference between a Pentium D 3 Ghz with vt
> (9xx) and without it (8xx)?

No idea... are the specs different in any other way?  Remember VT isn't used
*at all* when running a Xen-patched kernel, so having VT features enabled
will not speed up the performance of that kind of guest.  If you don't want
unmodified guests, then there's no need to get VT.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!