Re: [Xen-users] Kernel 2.6.15

> until noe I'am using Xen 2.0.x, bu tnow I wan tto move to an newer
> Hardware.
> Th enew system has a SATA controller card with marvell Chipset. To
> support this controller, I've to use kernel 2.6.15.
>
> Is it possible to compile Xen 3.0 with this kernel - and if - how.

Build Xen 3.0 from source.  Install xen.gz and the tools as normal, but you
don't need the kernels from the normal source tree - they are only 2.6.12.

Use the 2.6.15 version of our new Linux tree.  Clone this repository:
http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6-xen.hg

and build it.  Note that you can't make ARCH=xen in this tree - things have
been restructured so that Xen support is a toggle feature of the i386
architecture.  When you switch on Xen support, you'll need to switch on
support for privileged operations / device access / front and backend
drivers / etc.  You may want to check out the mailing list archives to see
other peoples' experiences.

This kernel is the future: we'll be doing another release based on 2.6.12
shortly and then we'll be moving over to base our kernels on the
linux-2.6-xen.hg, which we're preparing to submit as a patch to the mainline
kernel.  Right now it has a little less testing than the kernel in the main
Xen distribution, but it should work fine.

Alternatively, wait for Xen 3.0.2 (likely to be a number of weeks away), which
will include (probably) 2.6.16 as the kernel.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!