[Xen-users] Guest is not able to mount root device

To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Guest is not able to mount root device
From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:02:16 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:11:34 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

I use Xen3 and Linux 2.6.15 from mercurial. I followed the steps in

   http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user

to install it.

Now I've the problem that after I issue

   cd /etc/xen; xm create ts (*)

the following error is raised:

[9:52] klapperwachstum:xen# xm create ts
Using config file "ts".
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

Now I list the VMs and see that it is paused:

[9:52] klapperwachstum:xen# xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0       63     1 r-----  3011.4
ts                                34       64     1 --p---     0.0

I connect to the domain using "xm console ts" and issue
"xm unpause ts" on another console (**).

The xend logs can be found at (***), the dmesg output and
config of the domain0 at (****) and the two .configs I tried
for the guest at (*****).

Do you have any hint for me, what I am doing wrong? The hotplug
package is installed on the host and I do not understand
how the "vif" network device problem relates to the root device
not found message (from guest console).

Oh, btw, "xm create -c ts" does not open a console.

Sincerly,

Nico

(): All files named here can be found below
http://creme.schottelius.org/~nico/linux/debug/xen/klapperwachstum
(*): The xen-config can be found at    "guest.xenconfig"
(**): The console log can be found at  "guest-2.6.15.dmesg"
(***): xend-logs are xend-after-paused.log andxend-after-UNpaused.log.
(****): domain0.config and domain0.dmesg
(*****): guest.config-try1 and guest.config-try2

--
Latest release: ccollect-0.3 (http://linux.schottelius.org/ccollect/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.