[Xen-users] Xen and Samba -- browsing problems

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and Samba -- browsing problems
From: Stephen Bosch <posting@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:57:54 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 04:06:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello:

We've been wrestling with a problem with a Samba VM. At first we assumed
it was a Samba problem, but now we're not sure, as we've been seeking
help on the Samba lists and have made no end of configuration changes
with no success.

The problem is that when the Samba server is configured to be the domain
master browser, no clients can browse the network (in Network
Neighborhood or My Network Places). The domain appears as an icon in
"Entire Network", but when you click on it, there are no objects. This
is even though the Samba server has won the election to domain master,
and even though clients can connect to it if they provide a full UNC
path (\\SERVERNAME, for example).

When we check on the Samba server, we see that it has assembled a browse
list, but for some reason, clients receive an empty list.

SMB/CIFS depends a lot on broadcast traffic, and we're starting to
wonder if there is something about how Xen is handling interfaces that's
preventing them from behaving in a way that SMB/CIFS or Samba expect.

Has anybody else experienced this kind of problem with Samba running in Xen?

Thanks,

-Stephen-