[Xen-users] How was CoW implemented on the Demo LiveCD (3.0) ??

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] How was CoW implemented on the Demo LiveCD (3.0) ??
From: Rickard Borgmäster <doktorn@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:33:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:43:38 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I need to know what's needed to implement cow filesystem for domU the same way it was done on the LiveCD demo for xen 3.0. Our current project it is replace UML with XEN on a bootable router simulation LiveCD. We need to make each domU machine share the same rootfs.img. And I know it is possible, as it was done on the demo LiveCD. But how?

And, where can I find some documentation about domU config files disk= parameter? What is documented in the handbook is far from sufficient. Looking at the config file on the demo CD: /root/deb-conf says:

disk = ['cow:/tmp/cdrom/rootfs.img 30,sda1,w']
what does "30" mean here? A little bit hard to guess...

Right now, I've set up a xen 3.0 server for testing and mastering purposes. I've created a filesystem image that will work fine when not using cow (meaning, disk = ['file:/xen/rootfs.img,hda1,w'] in domU.cfg). Just changing this parameter to disk = ['cow:/xen/rootfs.img 30,hda1,w'] (again, what is "30" for?) gives me error; Error: Device 769 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts are not working.

Please! Share any experiences or knowledge you might have here. None of the project members are coders, so we cannot read source code like native language.

Any help is truely appreciated.

Best regards
Rickard Borgmäster