[Xen-users] inconsistent domU startups

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] inconsistent domU startups
From: Patrick Wolfe <pwolfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:23:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:18:38 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.  I'm running xen-3.0.0 (compiled from source code received from
xensource) on ubuntu 5.10 (breezy) linux on an x86 system.

Xen has been working, I was even able to start and stop domU virtual
machines earlier today, but all of a sudden it's failing all the time
and I don't understand why.

        # xm create -c /etc/xen/vm02.sxp
        Using config file "/etc/xen/vm02.sxp".
        Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not
found.

My files vm02.sxp and xend.log (from just this command) are attached

DeviceController identifies device 2049 as the virtual block device
for the root filesystem (served from file /vm/images/vm02-root.img).
The file does exist, I've booted successfully many times before.  I
don't understand what is going wrong here.  Can anyone suggest what
to try next?

The last time I got "Device ### (vbd) could not be connected" it
turned out that I was using device names hda1 and hda2 for the
domU's root and swap partitions, and xend.log contained messages
from DeviceController complaining because dom0 didn't have any
devices named hda1 and hda2 (they literally do not exist in /dev).
I thought this was odd, because I wasn't asking dom0 to use hda1
or hda2, but figured maybe it wanted to get device numbers from
them or something.

When I changed vm02.sxp to refer to virtual devices sda1 and sda2
(and changed the domU's /etc/fstab to the same device names), it
started working again (because I DO have those real devices in
dom0).

Thanks

--

Patrick Wolfe