Re: [Xen-users] XEN Networking Woes

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN Networking Woes
From: Daniel Goertzen <goertzen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:04:17 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:13:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had the same problem. I disabled the network-bridge script in the xen configuration and rolled my own bridge solution below. The vif-bridge script still worked fine for starting domUs.

Cheers,
Dan.

(/etc/conf.d/net excerpt)
# bridge settings
bridge_br0="eth0 vif0.0"
config_br0=( "null" )

# physical adapter will be a dumb port on our bridge
config_eth0=( "null" )
mac_eth0="fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff"

# dom0 backend interface will also be a dumb port on our bridge
config_vif0_0=( "null" ) #note that we have to say vif0_0 instead of vif0.0

# dom0 frontend config
config_veth0=("192.168.1.5/24")
routes_veth0=("default via 192.168.1.1")
mac_veth0="random-anykind"

Nick Couchman wrote:

More issues with XEN networking.  Basically I'm running Xen 3.0 under Gentoo.  When Xend starts and
configures the bridge, I lose network connectivity.  I have an Intel ProV100 network card, eth0.
Xen creates the "peth0" as the physical network card and also creates vif0.0 and xenbr0
for the bridge.  The interfaces vif0.0 and xenbr0 get added to the bridge successfully.  The IP
address is still assigned to the "eth0" device, but the machine is unable to talk to
anything on the network.  Pinging it's own IP address works, but pinging any machine - whether or
the same subnet or a different one fails.

Is there anything special or specific I need to do to get this working?

Thanks,

Nick Couchman
Systems Integrator
SEAKR Engineering, Inc.