Re: [Xen-users] VT laptop anyone?

To: Dave Schroeder <das@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT laptop anyone?
From: Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:54:45 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:02:20 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

On 1/17/06, Dave Schroeder <das@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that the shipping iMacs do have VT enabled. From dmesg on an
> iMac Core Duo:
>
> CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE
> MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON VMX
> EST TM2 TPR
>    HTT: 2 cores per package; 2 logical cpus per package
> CPU extended features: XD
>
> The Virtual Machine Extensions ("VMX") flag, which represents the VT
> support, is present.

That for me, looks like a "go" for iMacs.
Now, we only have to have linux booting in that, and find a way to
work with EFI instead of the bios everybody counts on..

Any words about BIOS vs EFI issues that affect Xen using VMX properly?

> More info from shipping Intel Core Duo Macs:
>
> http://appleintelfaq.com/#17.6
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Schroeder           |    University of Wisconsin - Madison
> Senior Systems Engineer  |   Division of Information Technology
> Email: das@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |                  Systems Engineering
> Web:   das.doit.wisc.edu | B263 Computer Science and Statistics
> Cell:  +1 608 444-5672   |              1210 West Dayton Street
> Phone: +1 608 265-4737   |        Madison, Wisconsin 53706-1685

Miguel Sousa Filipe