[Xen-users] Restarting domU: Device <device> is mounted in a guest domai

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Restarting domU: Device <device> is mounted in a guest domain
From: Stuart Mackintosh <sm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:10:11 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:16:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Using Debian stable as dom0 and domU. Disks are LVM.

When restarting the domU, it is reported that the device is in use. The
log shows as follows:

 File
"/local/scratch/xenod/cron-build/xen-unstable-x86_32p.oe3371.dir/xen-unstable.hg/dist/install/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/DevController.py",
 line 175, in waitForDevice
VmError: Device 769 (vbd) could not be connected.
Device /dev/<LVM VG>/<disk name> is mounted in a guest domain,
and so cannot be mounted now.

I have removed the entry in xenstore using "xenstore-rm
backend/vbd/<VM_ID>" and it starts without error.

It looks that the vbd does not get released (or at least removed from
xenstore) when the domU is restarted.
"xenstore-list backend/vbd" lists the active VM_IDs in xenstore.

I note that others have reported this, does anyone know of a fix or
where xenstore-rm is (should be) called?

xen/scripts/block does not do any handling of physical devices on
remove, is this correct?

  remove)
    case $t in
      phy)