[Xen-users] heavy write crashing, was: process limit

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] heavy write crashing, was: process limit
From: Tim Freeman <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:41:16 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:48:01 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:51:18 -0600
Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anand wrote:
> > Yes it makes sense, however i was wondering if something like this is
> > possible or not. Lets say a heavy disk io process goes wild and keeps
> > on writing to disk and span multiple processes, the dom0 can come to a
> > grinding halt. (for that matter there is no way to do disk io
> > scheduling like cpu scheduling :( )
>
> IIRC, disk I/O scheduling is a TODO for Xen and should be supported in
> the future.
>
> That said, have you actually seen this case (where the Dom0 comes to a
> complete halt, I/O blocked on account of disk usage by the DomUs)?

You can experience some nasty hangs with Xen 3.0.0 when running certain stress
invocations in domU, particularly with the --hdd option: "spawn N workers
spinning on write()/unlink()" (default is 1GB write()).

This is just some casual experience:

In a loopback mounted domU, I ran "stress -v --hdd 1" and it will almost
immediately kill the machine.

I increased dom0's RAM to try and help dom0's kernel with the writing and after
giving dom0 a whole gigabyte, it lasted longer but still locks up.

I gave dom0 much more CPU (almost half), kept its high RAM allocation, and it
did a lot better in this situation, lasted a lot longer, but eventually the
system became unresponsive.  Here, console toggling from the keyboard of the
real machine still worked up until the time my patience ran out...

Tim